Near Milford Center in Union County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bigelow Bridge / The Darby Plains
Constructed in 1873, the Bigelow Bridge spans approximately 100 feet across Little Darby Creek. Reuben Partridge built the superstructure at a cost of $12.50 per linear foot ($1,500). Bercupile & Snell built the masonry foundation at a cost of $7.00 per perch (a perch is approximately 25 cubic feet). Partridge built bridges throughout Union County and the surrounding area from 1866 until his death in 1900. The covered bridge is named for Eliphas Bigelow, an early resident of Union County, who built the nearby Bigelow House on the south side of Post Road (SR 161) in 1846. Union County Engineer employees rehabilitated the bridge from 1989 to 1991 by installing a new support system. The Partridge trusses currently carry only the weight of the original bridge. The rehabilitation project received the 1992 Engineered Timber Bridge Award from the National Forest Products Association.
Erected 2010 by Union County Commissioners Union County Convention & Visitors Bureau The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-80.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Bridges & Viaducts • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Covered Bridges 🌉, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists.
Location. 40° 6.93′ N, 83° 25.516′ W. Marker is near Milford Center, Ohio, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of Post Road (Ohio Route 161) and Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8401 Axe Handle Rd, Milford Center OH 43045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Culbertson Covered Bridge / Reuben L. Partridge (1823- 1900) Bridge Builder (approx. 2.1 miles away); Bridgeport / Bridgeport Iron Bridge (approx. 3.4 miles away); Mitchell Cemetery Stone #3 (approx. 3.4 miles away); Mitchell Cemetery Stone #2 (approx. 3.4 miles away); Mitchell Cemetery Stone #1 (approx. 3.4 miles away); Milford Center Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Union Township Civil War Monument (approx. 4.3 miles away); a different marker also named Union Township Civil War Monument (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on March 31, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 29, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.