Near Follett in Lipscomb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dr. Charles and Ora White owned land in South Ivanhoe and at this site, deeding land for Fairmont Cemetery in 1910, even before the establishment of Follett. The first burial was the reinterment of Myra Jones, a mother of six, who was killed by lightning in 1904 and originally buried at the Gigger Ranch. Her widowed husband, Michael "Uncle Mac" Jones, was the
Those buried here include the children of Mexican railroad workers who died during the influenza epidemic of 1918. More than one hundred military veterans, three of whom were killed in action in World War II, are also interred here. The Fairmont Cemetery Association, founded in 1909, cares for the cemetery.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13944.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1917.
Location. 36° 28.692′ N, 100° 7.001′ W. Marker is near Follett, Texas, in Lipscomb County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1454 and County Road C. Marker is in center of cemetery, on the northwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Follett TX 79034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Follett (approx. 3.3 miles away); Follett United Methodist Church and Church BellFollett United Methodist Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Northeast Corner of Texas (approx. 7.2 miles away); Fairview Cemetery (approx. 9.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 2, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.