Newcastle in Young County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Military Road (Fort Belknap - Fort Phantom Hill)
Surveyed in 1849 by Colonel J.E. Johnson who was detailed by the U.S. War Department to locate the most feasible route from Red River to El Paso. From 1851 to 1854 it connected two frontier forts, Belknap and Phantom Hill, 73 miles apart. Traveled 1858 to 1861 by stages of the Butterfield line which connected St. Louis and San Francisco.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 3374.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Forts and Castles • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Butterfield Overland Mail, and the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 33° 9.048′ N, 98° 44.542′ W. Marker is in Newcastle, Texas, in Young County. Marker is on Fort Circle south of Thompson Road, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located outside the west wall of Fort Belknap park along Fort Circle. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tonkawa Scouts, C.S.A. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Belknap Memorial (about 400 feet away); Colonel William C. Young (about 500 feet away); Military Road (Fort Belknap - San Antonio) (about 500 feet away); Old Fort Belknap Powder Magazine (about 600 feet away); Major Robert S. Neighbors (about 600 feet away); Camp Belknap, C.S.A. (about 600 feet away); Fort Belknap (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newcastle.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 2, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.