North Decatur in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dr. Chapmon Powell’s “Medicine House” and W.J. Houston Plantation
About 1826, Dr. Chapmon Powell erected a log cabin beside the Shallowford Trail near this site. His Indian patients called it the “Medicine House.” His cabin had been relocated onto this site by 1863 when Powell’s son-in-law, Washington Jackson Houston (pronounced Hows-ton) purchased about 600 acs. of Powell’s farm lands, enlarged the cabin, and built a mill on the South Fork of Peachtree Creek. Powell's original log cabin is now part of the plantation complex at Stone Mountain.
On July 18, 1864, war came to this site as Federal troops advancing on Atlanta and Decatur skirmished here. After the Battle of Atlanta, Gen. McPherson's remains were carried through Decatur to this site; then on to Sherman’s headquarters at the Howard house.
In 1904, Houston and Dr. W.J.Houston Jr., converted his plantation’s mill (off Houston Mill Rd. at Hahn Woods Commemorative Forest) into Decatur’s first electric power generation plant. He also established the Houston Chapel at his wife’s request, and until his death he conducted services in it for the rural community surrounding his farmlands.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1772.
Location. 33° 47.386′ N, 84° 18.394′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Georgia, in DeKalb County. It is in North Decatur. Marker is on Clarimont Road (Georgia Route 155) 0.2 miles south of North Decatur Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur GA 30030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trail to Standing Peachtree and Houston Chapel (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hardman Family Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site: J. Oliver Powell House Sherman's H'dq'rs (approx. half a mile away); Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs (approx. 0.8 miles away); Steatite Boulder (approx. 1.1 miles away); Houston Mill Millstone (approx. 1.2 miles away); DeKalb County (approx. 1.2 miles away); Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,077 times since then and 191 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.