Lovell in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
to Crawford's Burning / to Battle Island
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trailh
— Harrison's March —
Text on South Side :
- - - - -
Text on North Side :
- - - - -
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number A140.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1813.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 40° 53.454′ N, 83° 19.867′ W. Marker was in Lovell, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker was at the intersection of Ohio Route 199 and County Route 42, on the left when traveling Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 7002 State Route 199, Upper Sandusky OH 43351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Colonel William Crawford / The 1782 Sandusky Campaign (approx. 2 miles away); Crawford Memorial Park (approx. 2.1 miles away); Burning of Crawford (approx. 2.1 miles away); Colonel Crawford (approx. 2.2 miles away); Battle Island (approx. 3.9 miles away); Upper Sandusky (approx. 4.3 miles away); Wyandot County's WWII Veterans Memorial Bench (approx. 4˝ miles away); Wyandot County's WWI Veterans Memorial Bench (approx. 4˝ miles away).
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type A) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers. This particular marker is one of the type A markers of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series.
Originally, back in 1930, according to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report, there were erected 168 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type A, markers (see page 54). To date, I know of only 3 of these type A markers that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database (markers A95, A96, and A1340). A large number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on April 8, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System Markers
This particular Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (ORMC), Type A marker, once helped to mark the military marches of General
Along some portions of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System, it is difficult to identify the probable location of these markers because the roadways of 1930 are so much different from the present day roadways. Many of the original roadways have been re-routed or by-passed, or in some cases given new route number designations. However, for this particular marker, the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System follows a section of roadway that is in much the same condition as it would have been back in 1930. Unfortunately, however, there is no physical evidence that would indicate exactly where this particular missing marker was situated along this rural roadway.
— Submitted April 8, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 8, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.