Bordeaux in McCormick County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Guillebeau Home and Family Cemetery
One half mile west is the pioneer home of Andre Guillebeau, a member of the original Huguenot group which settled New Bordeaux in 1764, having fled from the persecution in France under the leadership of the Reverend Jean Louis Gibert. The house is constructed of logs and, according to family tradition, was built sometime before 1800.
Among eighteen members of the Guillebeau family buried in the cemetery one half mile west are Andre Guillebeau, French Huguenot and soldier of the American Revolution, his wife, Mary Jane Roquemore, their son, Pierre Guillebeau, who was for many years a ruling elder of Willington Presbyterian Church, and his wife, Mary Jane Bellot.
Erected 1972 by Huguenot Society of South Carolina, McCormick County Historical Society, Long Cane Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 33-5.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the South Carolina, McCormick County Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1764.
Location. 33° 57.079′ N, 82° 26.491′ W. Marker is in Bordeaux, South Carolina, in McCormick County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 81 and Moss Avenue (Road 196), on the left when traveling west on State Highway 81. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Cormick SC 29835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Andre Guillebeau (approx. 0.4 miles away); John De La Howe School Enterprise Market Program at "The Barn" (approx. one mile away); John De La Howe School (approx. one mile away); John De La Howe / John De La Howe School (approx. 1.2 miles away); De La Howe Hall (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cherry Hill / Noble Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Willington Presbyterian Church (approx. 2 miles away); Willington Academy (approx. 2 miles Willington (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of Willington Academy (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bordeaux.
Also see . . .
1. Guillebeau House. The Guillebeau House is a good example of Southern eighteenth-century pioneer construction. (Submitted on July 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. A History of New Bordeaux, South Carolina. In 1761, The Bounty Act was a direct result of the French and Indian War (1756-1759 in the colonies) and the Cherokee War (1760) in South Carolina. (Submitted on November 23, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Guillebeau House
The Guillebeau House is a good example of Southern pioneer construction. Built on the double pen house plan developed extensively in the South, the house has one exterior chimney and two front entrances. Shed-roof porch across front, originally open, has been enclosed at either end to provide additional rooms. The original floor plan is still intact and consists of three rooms in front of three rooms. The second floor also has three rooms which were completed shortly after the Revolutionary War. At
Several of the large logs which provided original foundation supports are still intact. Walls are constructed of hand-hewn logs with mortise-and-tenon joints. Filling between logs.
Medium gable roof features typical pioneer construction method in which plates are used to support rafters which in turn support purl ins. Roof was covered with wooden shingles.
Original exterior end chimney is laid in Flemish bond in first two stages. In third stage, brickwork is done in all stretcher pattern with alternating header-stretcher design in comers.
The family cemetery is included in the acreage nominated. It is maintained by the Guillebeau descendants.
With the revival of the Reformed Church in France by such leaders as Antoine Court, the French government enacted the vindictive Edict of 1724 which was in force until the 1787 Edict of Toleration. During this period of relentless Protestant persecution, a small group of French Huguenots led by the Reverend Jean Louis Gibert and the Reverend Pierre Boutiton petitioned George III for permission to establish a settlement in one of England's American colonies. Their petition was granted in 1763 when the Earl of Hillsborough wrote to Governor Boone of South Carolina that the king thought
During the American Revolution, Andre Guillebeau served in the American militia under Captain Joseph Bouchillon (also a Huguenot settler at New Bordeaux) from August 1779 - May 1782. Andre wounded in action.
The Guillebeau House is a fine physical document on 18th Century
— Submitted November 23, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,408 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on September 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.