La Paz Centro, León, Nicaragua
“The Town Council”
Estructura Colonial No 2 “Cabildo”
Durante el periodo activo de la ciudad fue la sede del Gobierno Municipal.
Todas las Ruinas y estructuras de la ciudad fueron rescatadas y descubiertas en el año 1967, por la UNAN – León. Por efectos de Huracán Aleta en 1982, fue nuevamente sepultada esta estructura. Actualmente se ha redescubierto a través de excavaciones arqueológicas financiadas por la Junta de Andalucía.
Colonial Structure No 2
“The Town Council”
Built during the period 1531-1545, of clay brick walls and talpuja (while volcanic ash) coating, its roofing material was clay tile. It had an area of 513 m2.
During the city’s active period it was the seat of the town hall.
All the ruins and structures of the city were rescued and discovered in 1967 by the UNAN – León (National Autonomous University of Nicaragua in León). As a result of Hurricane Aleta in 1982, this structure was buried again. It has now been
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1967.
Location. 12° 24.108′ N, 86° 37.048′ W. Marker is in La Paz Centro, León. The marker is at León Viejo Archaeological Site, to the west of the site's town square. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Town Square" (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Saint Mary of Graces Cathedral” (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Palace of Governor Rodrigo de Contreras” (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); "The Royal Road" (about 90 meters away); "Unidentified" Colonial Structure No 11 (about 90 meters away); “The House of Ana Jiménez” (about 120 meters away); "The House of Hernando de Soto and Hernán Ponce de León" (about 150 meters away); Ruins of Old León (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Paz Centro.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.