Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Athens in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

North Side of Square

 
 
North Side of Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 9, 2016
1. North Side of Square Marker
Inscription.  The second Confederate Monument was erected in June 1912. This view shows the intersection of Market and Marion streets.

The 4-H'ers parade their cattle on the courthouse lawn in 1959. Judges were on hand to give a blue ribbon for the best stock.

E.T. Gray & Son with a new shipment of shoes in the 1920s. This store was later known as Gray & Holt. Note the Lyle Photography Studio sign.

In 1909 the first Confederate Monument was placed in the middle of the street but was moved to the courthouse lawn, when the city paved the street. In November 1911 the Monument was moved to the city cemetery to watch over the Confederate Circle of Soldiers.

North side of square-1939. New Way Grocery with Gulf gas sign, two unnamed stores and Crutcher-White Hardware.

A series of fires around the square destroyed many of the business here between 1882 and 1902. This photograph shows that the north side had recovered and was back in business by 1904.

The courthouse was not only used for official business, but also served as a gathering place for activities such as this 1931 auction of a buggy and hay
Second Confederate Monument image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 9, 2016
2. Second Confederate Monument
Click or scan to see
this page online
rake. In 1863 Colonel Wallace Campbell of the 110th U.S. Colored Infantry surrendered to General Nathan Bedford Forrest on the lawn. A granite stone marked the site. Notice the bricked street and views of the north side of the square.

Views of Market Street.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesWar, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1912.
 
Location. 34° 48.205′ N, 86° 58.296′ W. Marker is in Athens, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is on Market Street east of North Jefferson, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 Market St W, Athens AL 35611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Limestone County Courthouse Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge David Lee Rosenau, Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); A County Older Than the State (within shouting distance of this marker); Limestone County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); James Edwin Horton, Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Limestone County Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle Surrender Site (within
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
shouting distance of this marker); Limestone County Iraq — Afghanistan Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2016, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 415 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2016, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93881

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 24, 2021