Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Elk Garden in Mineral County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Dr. John Green

 
 
Dr. John Green Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 30, 2016
1. Dr. John Green Marker
Inscription.  One fourth of a mile south is the grave of Dr. John Green, first resident doctor in Mineral County, 1832–73. Born in Bolton, England, November 13, 1798; came to Virginia in May, 1827, after serving as medic in Battle of Waterloo. Died Dec. 21, 1873.
 
Erected 1968 by the West Virginia Historic Commission. Sponsored by the Green Reunion.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1827.
 
Location. 39° 21.574′ N, 79° 6.692′ W. Marker is near Elk Garden, West Virginia, in Mineral County. Marker is on Pinnacle Road (Local Road 4) 1½ miles north of State Route 42, on the right when traveling north. Route 42 runs between Skyline on U.S. 50 and Kitzmiller on the Maryland line. Road 4 runs from Route 42 at the Sulphur City Church and changes to Road 46/4 before arriving at Keyser as South E Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elk Garden WV 26717, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Claysville United Methodist Church
Dr. John Green Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 30, 2016
2. Dr. John Green Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 2.7 miles away); Mineral County / State of Maryland (approx. 4.1 miles away); Mineral County / Grant County (approx. 5 miles away); Nancy Hanks (approx. 5.3 miles away); Vandiver - Trout - Clause House (approx. 6.4 miles away); Carskadon Mansion (approx. 8.3 miles away); Thomas R. Carskadon (approx. 8.3 miles away); Historical Markers (approx. 8.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Mineral County Medical History. “Dr. Green lived in that section of the county and gave medical service to the territory now comprising Elk District. Up until 1897, no State Examination was required by West Virginia. All one had to do to practice medicine in Mineral County was to register with the County Clerk and hang out his shingle.” (Submitted on April 16, 2016.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93932

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 27, 2022