The first church building was expanded in 1812, and replaced by a larger structure in 1834. This building was destroyed by a fire, caused by a spark from a passing train in 1879, and was replaced by a new church constructed in the nearby village of New Brooklyn (South Plainfield).
The cemetery contains the graves of many families and individuals who were prominent in the area. The northern boundary of this property marks the position held by Hessian Troops under the command of Captain Johann Ewald. He was defending the Samptown Bridge from attack by American forces advancing south from the direction of Plainfield, during the Revolutionary War, June 21-23, 1777.
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is June 21, 1777.
Location. 40° 34.811′ N, 74° 25.921′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of South Plainfield (approx. one mile away); Revolutionary War Skirmishes in the Area (approx. 1.4 miles away); Police Athletic League Memorial Field (approx. 1.6 miles away); Quaker Meeting House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Plainfield Garden Club (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of the Blue Hills Fort and Camp (approx. 2.1 miles away); Drake House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Drake House Flag Pole (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Plainfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 297 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.