Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
REMOVED
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

Rockville Academy

Lost Rockville - 1801 to 1850

 
 
Rockville Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Fuchs, January 7, 2006
1. Rockville Academy Marker
Inscription.  
In 1805, the Maryland General Assembly appointed a commission to raise money for a school lot and a fire engine for Rockville. The Rockville Academy was chartered and authorized to hire teachers in 1809. In 1812 and 1813, a number of lots were purchased on Jefferson Street, and construction of the original rectangular brick Federal style building was completed in 1813. Tuition was $10 a year, and students obtained room and board elsewhere.

The academy faced Jefferson Street and was five bays long with interior chimneys at either end. The building contained only classrooms. Thirty to 60 young men were enrolled annually, some of whom attended seasonally when farm work was light. They received a secondary school education. The academy was one of two secondary schools in the county.

Rockville Academy continued in the original building until 1890 when it was replaced by the present Queen Anne style school designed and built by Rockville builder Edwin West. Female students were first admitted in 1912. From 1917 to 1935, it housed the Rockville public elementary school for grades 1-3 and later, the Library Association.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
The building was vacant, deteriorated, and threatened with demolition when it was purchased and renovated for office use in 1980. The City of Rockville purchased the surrounding land with Project Open Space funds for a public park.
 
Erected by City of Rockville, Maryland, and the Rockville Historic District Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducation. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1805.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 39° 4.963′ N, 77° 9.318′ W. Marker was in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker could be reached from the intersection of South Adams Street and West Jefferson Street (Maryland Route 28). Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Rockville MD 20850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Rockville Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Prettyman House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Prettyman House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell Tower Building
The Former Rockville Academy image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Fuchs, January 14, 2006
2. The Former Rockville Academy
(within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Prettyman House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
 
More about this marker. One of the "Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850" series of markers.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced with the linked marker.
 
Also see . . .  Rockville History. City website entry:
Links to three walking tours (Submitted on March 28, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Academy Building and Jackie Williams Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Fuchs, January 7, 2006
3. Academy Building and Jackie Williams Plaque
The grounds of the school is now a city park. This brass plaque set into a stone is the memorial to Ms. Williams. It faces the corner of South Adams and West Jefferson.
Jacqulin Trells Williams Memorial Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Fuchs, January 7, 2006
4. Jacqulin Trells Williams Memorial Plaque
Rockville. Jacqulin Trells Williams Park. Dedicated in Memory of Jackie Williams. Through her efforts the Rockville Academy Building and this open space have been preserved for the enjoyment of all. By the Major and Council of Rockville, Douglas W. Duncan, Major; James F. Coyle; James T. Warrinan; Viola D. Hovsepian; David Robbins; Broce Romer, City Manager; Sharon Gran, City Clerk; Gregory A. Bayor, Director of Recreation and Parks.
Side of Building Facing West Jefferson Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Fuchs, January 14, 2006
5. Side of Building Facing West Jefferson Street
Back Facade Facing Parking Lot image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Fuchs, January 14, 2006
6. Back Facade Facing Parking Lot
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2024. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,534 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 28, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024