Near Keyser in Mineral County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Erected 1981 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Exploration. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1748.
Location. 39° 25.647′ N, 78° 54.489′ W. Marker is near Keyser, West Virginia, in Mineral County. Marker is on West Virginia Route 46, 4 miles Keyser, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15 Fountainhead Dr, Keyser WV 26726, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jonah E. Kelley Memorial Bridge (approx. 3½ miles away); New Creek Station (approx. 3½ miles away); Blacksmith Shop (approx. 3½ miles away); Courthouse (approx. 3.6 miles away); Lest We ForgetCourthouse Square (approx. 3.6 miles away); Taylor Home (approx. 3.7 miles away); Tannery and Shoe Factory (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Keyser.
Also see . . . Roots Web Entry. “Many settlers came into the Northern Neck of Virginia, and a number of wealthy London and Virginia gentlemen saw possibilities for extensive trade with Indians and for colonization of the land on the Ohio River. Included among these prominent men were Thomas Nelson, Thomas Lee, George Fairfax, and Laurence and Augustus Washington. They formed a corporation known as the ‘Ohio Company’ and in 1749 were chartered by George II and granted 500,000 acres of land. A few months later the company open it first store on the south side of the Potomac, near the present town of Ridgeley, Mineral County. Mr. Hansbury had shipped about $4,000 worth of goods from London. Abraham Johnson of Patterson Creek had been appointed proprietor, and the settlers could exchange their surplus supplies of grain, hogs and tobacco for ‘blankets, red shroud, half thicks, liker and ches.’ Copies of original accounts of Abraham Johnson with the Ohio Company, which are still in the possession of his descendants are most interesting, and give a fair idea of the flourishing business that was carried on by this Company that can well be called, ‘America’s First Chain Store Corporation!’ ” (Submitted on April 18, 2016.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.