Length 43.1 km East-Berlin/West Berlin, 119 km GDR/ West-Berlin Height 3.60 m.
On the 13th of August, 1961 the SED leadership ordered the closure of the border to the sectors of West Berlin. For 28 years this border divided Germany, Europe and the world. All direct traffic connections between Berlin and Potsdam became un-passable for its citizens.
In the follow years the network of wall and barbed wire fencing around Potsdam and Berlin was intensified. Many people were shot dead, wounded or arrested while trying to escape. As a result of the peaceful Revolution in Eastern Europe the Berlin Wall fell on the 9th of November, 1989. On the following day the barriers were lifted on Glienicker Brucke. The way towards a unified Germany and the unification process in Europe had been opened.
(Inscription beside the photo on the lower right)
The first solid bridge was designed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel and was erected between 1831 and 1834. A wooden bridge had already existed at this site since the 17th century. Photo: Robert Prager, ca. 1860. Potsdam Museum, Photo Collection.
Topics and series. This memorial
Location. 52° 24.808′ N, 13° 5.413′ E. Marker is in Berlin. Memorial is on Berliner Strasse. This marker is near the Glienicker Bridge which crosses the Havel River and separates Berlin from Potsdam. This bridge was also known as the spy bridge since many spies were exchanged between the U.S and Russia. The most notable was Francis Gary Powers on Feb. 10 1962. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berlin 14467, Germany. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glienicker Brucke (here, next to this marker); Neuer Garten (New Garden) (approx. 1.5 kilometers away in Brandenburg); Cecilienhof Palace (approx. 1.5 kilometers away in Brandenburg); Passenger Car of the French Military Train (approx. 13.2 kilometers away); Berlin Airlift (approx. 13.2 kilometers away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 23, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.