Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Blue Rock Community Club

 
 
Blue Rock Community Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
1. Blue Rock Community Club Marker
Inscription.  Established in 1917 as part of the esteemed General Federation of Women's Clubs, The Blue Rock Community Club (BRCC) provided an important social and service-oriented outlet for women. Beginning with just 11 founding members, the Club became an anchor within Brandywine Hundred. Prior to the clubhouse construction in 1928, members met in their homes and other area locations. The cornerstone was laid in 1927 and donated by Jacob Wagner, builder of the clubhouse. In addition to hosting traditional events, educational programs, musical performances, and card parties, the Club also held festivities celebrating Halloween, Christmas, and Independence Day. The Club raised money and donations for the needy during the Great Depression, then worked with the Red Cross during World War II sponsoring blood drives. A tireless advocate for practical community needs and issues of statewide importance, the BRCC supported the construction of safe sidewalks and lobbied for the recognition of "Delaware Day" in 1933. The women also organized an international committee providing charitable initiatives for global issues. Speakers and lectures on a wide variety of issues
Blue Rock Community Club image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
2. Blue Rock Community Club
rounded out it diverse selection of programs and events during the ensuing decades. By the 1990s, the Club's membership declined as increasing numbers of women entered the workforce. The building was sold, with remaining members meeting at local churches to conduct activities, lectures, and award college scholarships. Eventually, BRCC members merged with other local women's clubs to continue their community and charitable efforts.
 
Erected 2014 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-201.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkFraternal or Sororal Organizations.
 
Location. 39° 45.751′ N, 75° 30.236′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Brandywine Blvd., on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 Brandywine Blvd, Wilmington DE 19809, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Pleasant School (approx. one mile away); Rockwood (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal (ME) Church and Parsonage (approx. 1.2 miles away); Riverview Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Cauffiel House and Estate (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
1.4 miles away); A Pathway through the Past (approx. 1.4 miles away); Delaware Chemical Engineering Company (approx. 1.8 miles away); One Love Park (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement
May. 29, 2020