Piney Point Lighthouse
A fixed white light consisting of ten lamps and 10 reflectors was installed increasing the visibility of the beacon for eleven miles. A Fresnel lens of the fifth order was added in 1855.
Fog in the area along the treacherous shoreline at Pine Point resulted in the addition of a bell tower in 1880. Replaced by a reed horn in 1936 the bell tower was to fall victim to Hurricane Hazel in 1954.
(Photos courtesy of the Mariners Museum, Newport News, Virginia)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 38° 8.154′ N, 76° 31.748′ W. Marker is in Piney Point, Maryland, in St. Mary's County
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lighthouse Keeper's Quarters (here, next to this marker); Potomac River Military Testing (here, next to this marker); Bay Lights (here, next to this marker); Osprey (here, next to this marker); Map of Lower Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Piney Point Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Piney Point Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); Lighthouses of the Chesapeake (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piney Point.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.