Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Gillespie County Courthouse
Erected 1881-1882 in term of County Judge Wm. Wahrmund and Commissioners J. Dechert, F. Kneese, J. Larson and J.P. Mosel. Architect was Alfred Giles.
Native limestone structure is distinctive in fine balance and symmetry. Second courthouse built in county; used until 1939.
Restoration and conversion to library - community hall is gift of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene McDermott.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10045.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 30° 16.523′ N, 98° 52.413′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker can be reached from W. Main Street (U.S. 290) west of S. Adams Street (Highway 16), on the left when traveling west. Marker is mounted on the front wall of the Pioneer Memorial Library to the right of the main entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 W Main St, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Gillespie County (within shouting distance of this marker); Gillespie County Armed Services Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square (Marktplatz) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Otfrid Hans Freiherr von Meusebach (about 300 feet away); County Jail of 1885 (about 400 feet away); Vereins Kirche (about 400 feet away); Gillespie County Country Schools 1846 to 1970's (about 500 feet away); The Meinhardt-Pfeil Home (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.