Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Apopka in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park

 
 
Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, April 17, 2016
1. Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park Marker
Inscription.  Rock Springs is the source of the Rock Springs Run, a swift running stream with an average flow of 26,000 gallons per minute and a constant temperature of 68 degrees. The spring flows from limestone containing fossils that date back 17 million years. In 1855, the State of Florida, wanting to encourage settlement in the state's interior, awarded land near Rock Springs to William S. Delk, a veteran of the Second Seminole War. Delk later became the owner of the area's largest plantation. He used the Rock Springs Run to power his grist mill, sawmill, and cotton gin. Delk's heirs sold the land to lumber companies. In 1910, New Jersey doctor, Howard A. Kelly visited Rock Springs. Kelly, one of the founders of Johns Hopkins Hospital and an internationally recognized gynecologist, was an avid naturalist. Taken with the "sweet" spring water from the "mysterious cave," he purchased 200 acres around Rock Springs in 1921 for use as a wildlife preserve and bird sanctuary. Kelly and his wife gifted the land to Orange County in 1927 with the understanding that it would remain a public park open to every citizen. Orange County named the park Dr. Howard A. Kelly
Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park Marker along the road looking north image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, April 17, 2016
2. Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park Marker along the road looking north
Click or scan to see
this page online
Park.
 
Erected 2015 by The Apopka Historical Society and Museum of the Apopkeans, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-868.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Natural Features.
 
Location. 28° 45.48′ N, 81° 30.276′ W. Marker is near Apopka, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is on Baptist Camp Road north of East Kelly Park Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 E Kelly Park Rd, Apopka FL 32712, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mount Plymouth Memorial Park (approx. 3.1 miles away); Apopka Schoolhouse (approx. 5.6 miles away); Oldest Masonic Lodge Building in Continuous Use in Florida (approx. 5.9 miles away); Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit (approx. 6 miles away); Markham (approx. 6.9 miles away); Forest City (approx. 7.2 miles away); Turpentine Industry (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Apopka.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, April 17, 2016
3. Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park entrance
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 166 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 29, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94341

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 4, 2022