Aledo in Parker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bankhead Highway in Aledo
The Bankhead Highway extends more than 900 miles within the state of Texas, from Texarkana to El Paso, totaling about one-third of the National Road's complete length. Initially, the City of Aledo was located one mile south of the Highway, which stretched from east to west through Parker County. The route currently establishes the northern boundary of the future city limits of Aledo.
The segment of the Bankhead Highway which connects Weatherford to Aledo, remains the most frequently utilized and longest, continuously-named portion of the entire road. Amidst the growing
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18203.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1916.
Location. 32° 42.923′ N, 97° 36.051′ W. Marker is in Aledo, Texas, in Parker County. Marker is at the intersection of East Bankhead Highway and Farm to Market Road 1187, on the right when traveling east on East Bankhead Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Aledo TX 76008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Aledo (approx. 1.3 miles away); Aledo United Methodist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); City of Aledo (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hood Family Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); Annetta Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lawson Daniel Gratz (approx. 4.8 miles away); Isaac Parker (approx. 6.9 miles away); James M. Benbrook (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aledo.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 413 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 30, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.