Indian Trading Post
George Gabel opened an Indian trading post on this site in 1847. In 1856 he sold the property to John Dilg who had arrived in the Chicago area in 1850 and settled on Waukegan Road in 1854. Dilg and his wife, Maria Magdalena Gabel Dilg operated the business as a general store and meeting place for the community. They also offered lodging for travelers between Chicago and Milwaukee.
The Dilg family was associated with the general store for about 100 years, and referred to the building as "The Homestead".
After a century and a half the building continues in its role as a restaurant and community meeting place, also offering lodging to travelers.
Some of the old construction is still recognizable on the south side and front of the building facing Waukegan Road.
Continuing in the family tradition, in 1904 John & Maria Magdalena Dilg's son, Fred, with his wife, Seana Torieck Dilg, opened another general store, the Morton Grove Exchange, at Ferris and Lincoln.
This plaque was placed in commemoration of the golden wedding anniversary of Cornelius and Minnie Rakittke Dilg October 5, 1990.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 42° 2.525′ N, 87° 46.892′ W. Marker is in Morton Grove, Illinois, in Cook County. Marker is on the grounds of the Morton Grove Historical Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6240 West Dempster Street, Morton Grove IL 60053, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. American Indian - Potawatomi Tribe Eagle Dancer (here, next to this marker); The American Legion Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harrer Park (about 400 feet away); Edison Park World War I Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Sauganash Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Old Treaty Elm (approx. 4.4 miles away); Trinity Slovak Lutheran Church (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morton Grove.
Also see . . .
1. Morton Grove, Illinois, History. (Submitted on May 8, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Morton Grove Historical Society & Museum on Facebook. (Submitted on May 8, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Article on Morton Grove Historical Society in Chicago Tribune (2015). (Submitted on May 8, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 8, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.