Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Marion in Marion County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Old Blockhouse Site

 
 
The Old Blockhouse Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 9, 2016
1. The Old Blockhouse Site Marker
Inscription.  The U.S. Army built a two-story blockhouse on a nearby hill during the War of 1812. The blockhouse was one of a series of such structures erected along the Greenville Treaty line to guard against Native Americans who supported the British during the conflict. After the war, Daniel Markley, one of Green Camp Township's first white inhabitants, settled near the blockhouse.

In 1963, the graves of twenty-five prehistoric Glacial Kame Indians and six white settlers were discovered near the blockhouse site. Seventeen War of 1812 veterans and eight others were also buried there. These bodies were subsequently removed and reinterred at Green Camp Cemetery. An abandoned right-of-way of the Erie Railroad, Dayton line, also passes through the area. Prairie grasses that once dominated parts of Marion County can still be found in the vicinity.
 
Erected 1999 by The Marion County Historical Society The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 8- 51.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology

The Old Blockhouse Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 9, 2016
2. The Old Blockhouse Site Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
 
Location. 40° 32.912′ N, 83° 11.487′ W. Marker is near Marion, Ohio, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of LaRue-Prospect Road (Ohio Route 203) and Marion- Green Camp Rd (Ohio Route 739), on the right when traveling south on LaRue-Prospect Road. Marker is at the crossing of the Trella Romine Prairie Trail, (the old Erie Rail Road). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2235 Larue-Prospect Rd S, Marion OH 43302, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Green Camp (approx. 1˝ miles away); Marion Steam Shovel (approx. 3.8 miles away); Harding Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Jacob's Well (approx. 4.1 miles away); Norman Mattoon Thomas (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Marion County Trial of Bill Anderson (approx. 4.3 miles away); War Memorials (approx. 4.3 miles away); Marion County Courthouse (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
 
The Old Blockhouse Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 9, 2016
3. The Old Blockhouse Site Marker
Marker can be seen at a distance, looking south. The Trella Romine Praire Trail or old Erie RR crosses just behind the marker. The St Rt 203 sign is also visible.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 9, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94537

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 24, 2021