Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taylor in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Taylor Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery

 
 
Taylor Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., May 12, 2016
1. Taylor Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  The Taylor Methodist Episcopal congregation built the first church in Taylor Township in 1882 on land donated by Marlin H.H. and Rachel Coan for a church and cemetery. Platted in 1884, this cemetery originated as the church's burial ground. At that time, remains dating from as early as the 1840s were relocated here from private family cemeteries. In 1923 the burial ground became the West Mound Cemetery, named for the large sand hill on which it stood. The remains of Peter Coan, Taylor's first landowner, are among the 3,200 graves, of which 114 date from the nineteenth century.
 
Erected 2001 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1740.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 42° 11.86′ N, 83° 15.28′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is on Eureka Road, 0.8 miles
Taylor Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., May 12, 2016
2. Taylor Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
west of Interstate 75, on the left when traveling west. The marker is across the street from Southland Center mall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22395 Eureka Road, Taylor MI 48180, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sandhill Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Water-Powered Mill (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fitz's Caboose (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hand Train Station (approx. 1.2 miles away); Taylor Heritage School (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Greenwald Herkimer House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Coan Lake (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Sell/Schonsheck House (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
 
Peter Coan Grave Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., May 12, 2016
3. Peter Coan Grave Marker
West Mount Cemetery Fencing Dedication Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., May 12, 2016
4. West Mount Cemetery Fencing Dedication Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 13, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94604

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 4, 2022