Lower Marlboro in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
— Port town to “front porch” town in 300 years —
Before the American Revolution, Lower Marlborough (the spelling officially changed to Marlboro in the 19th century) was a thriving port town with large homes, inns, stores, warehouses, a sawmill, a tobacco inspection station, and the British tariff office.
As sails gave way to steam power, the port town retained its identity as the premier port on the upper Patuxent River. By the early 20th century, a steamship landing with two large tobacco warehouses was the focal point of the town’s social and economic life. Soon roads and railroads encircled the Chesapeake watershed and the bustling commercial port became a residential community
The last steamship came to Lower Marlboro when the Western Shore Steamboat Company ended service on the Patuxent River in 1938.
“’Swampoodle’ was the name given to the south end of Lower Marlboro, which always had water lying on the ground after a heavy rain, often flooded the post office and the blacksmith shop, and giving ducks a puddle for a paddle.”
The Swampoodle Book, 1983
Top & above right: The steamboat Potomac
Right: Town map, late 1800s, after The Swamppoodle Book, 1983.
Background Map: Special Collections (Huntingfield Corporation Map Collection, courtesy of Maryland State Archives), J. Dennison, Map of the States of Maryland and Delaware, 1796. MSA SC 1399-1-49.
Where Time & Tide Meet:Southern Maryland
Wayside exhibit developed by the Southern Maryland Heritage Partnership.
Funding provided by the National Park Service. For more information call the Calvert County Department of Economic Development at 800 331-9771.
FURY and FOLKLORE
THE WAR of 1812
“An Attack on the Town Would Be a Sad Annoyance to the Enemy” British Capt. Robert Barrie
The impacts of the War of 1812 were felt here in the summer of 1814 when about 160 British Royal Marines and some 30 Black Colonial Corps raided Lower Marlboro. In mid June, after the militia and townsfolk fled, the British took “quiet possession” of a large quantity of tobacco, valued at $125,000 (1814 dollars.)
Newspaper accounts described the British destruction of the town:
American & Commercial
June 20, 1814
”A British officer and FIVE MEN marched three miles into the country and stole with impunity from a widow lady, thirteen slaves, and done considerable damage by the destruction of furniture, &c. at other places.”
June 25, 1814
Detail from “Attack on Fort Washington on Potomac, 17 August 1814.” Watercolor by Irwin Bevan, 1852-1940. Courtesy of the Mariners’ Museum, Newport News, VA.
In August, the British fleet again anchored at Lower Marlboro. Local tradition claims that several British soldiers, who died of “swamp fever” and wounds received in battle, are reputed to be buried in the town.
Sir George Cockburn, mezzotint by C. Turner, 1819. Courtesy of Library of Congress, LC-USZ62-12334
LOCAL FOLKLORE INSPIRED BY INSECTS
A young boy of Lower Marlboro was the hero of local folklore when he told British officers that a hornet’s nest was a rare humming bird nest. He told them “if you stop up the hole
According to the folktale, the plug was pulled while the British ship was still in the Patuxent River, and residents saw Admiral Cockburn and a dozen of his officers dive overboard, sword and all.
“The hornets surely won the day,
And made their foes feel shame;
Those insects were American
And lived up to their name!”
Dennis Griffith, Map of the State of Maryland, 1794. Maryland State Law Library, MdHR G 1213-356.
Heritage is a cooperative project of Calvert County,
Maryland’s Department of Business and Economic
Development—the Office of Tourism Development,
and the Department of Housing and Community
Development – Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum’s
Exhibit Services Program
Star-Spangled Banner Site
For more things to do and see in Maryland,
log onto our website, www.mdisfun.org
or call 1-866-War-1812.
Erected by the Southern Maryland Heritage Partnership. Funding provided by the National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic African Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1938.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 38° 39.349′ N, 76° 40.975′ W. Marker was in Lower Marlboro, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker was on Lower Marlboro Rd. (Maryland Route 262) west of Southern Maryland Blvd. (Maryland Route 4). Marker is in the parking area adjacent to the fishing pier/boat launch on the Patuxent River - at the western end of Lower Marlboro Road. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Owings MD 20736, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Town Ravaged (here, next to this marker); Lower Marlboro Town (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Up in Flames (approx. 1.3 miles away); Warships and Raids (approx. 2.1 miles away); Calvert County (approx. 3.4 miles away); A County in Ruin (approx. 3.4 miles away); Nottingham (approx. 3.9 miles away); Changing Guard (approx. 4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Lower Marlboro, Maryland. (Submitted on June 22, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. The Corps of Colonial Marines [a.k.a. the "Black Colonial Corps"]:. - fugitive American slaves recruited by Admiral Cockburn's forces to fight as supernumeraries with the Royal Navy and Marines in exchange for manumission and re-settlement in Britain's remaining colonies. (Submitted on June 22, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Corps of Colonial Marines (African Descent)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,012 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on May 19, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 22, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 7. submitted on May 19, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.