Scioto Ordnance Plant Site
On March 2, 1942, four months after the U.S. entered WWII, farmers living between Marion-Williamsport and Marseilles-Galion Roads and between State Route 98 and the Norfolk & Western Railroad were notified to vacate their farms by the first of May. This displaced approximately 126 farm families from over 12,600 acres so that a munitions factory could be built. The site included the administration area, cafeteria, fire and police stations, and a hospital, in addition to the widely dispersed powder houses and the production lines. Manufacturing began in the fall of 1942. The plant's operators included U.S. Rubber, Atlas Powder, the Permanente Metals Division of the Kaiser Corporation, Kilgore Manufacturing, and Ferro Enamel, who made bombs until August 14, 1945—VJ Day.
Women worked at the plant and served as secretaries, chauffeurs, cafeteria workers, journalists, and buyers of materials. With the manpower shortage, women took on the most dangerous jobs, including filling the M-74 cluster bombs and the 500 pound M-76 "goop" bombs. After the war, DeKalb Hatcheries bought 2,200 acres of the plant's
Erected 2010 by Marion County Historical Society McCarthy Corporation The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 15- 51.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 40° 38.403′ N, 83° 4.386′ W. Marker is near Marion, Ohio, in Marion County. Marker is on Pole Lane Rd (County Route 174), on the right when traveling north. Marker is one mile north of a similar, related marker. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2632 Pole Lane Rd, Marion OH 43302, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War II Displacement (approx. 1.7 miles away); Camp Marion, World War II Prisoners of War (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Marion Engineer Depot (approx. 2˝ miles away); Claridon Prairie (approx. 2.8 miles away); NASA’s Crawler-Transporter Tread Shoe (approx. 3.6 miles away); Marion Mausoleum (approx. 4.3 miles away); Cummins Home (approx. 4.4 miles away); Old Marion Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Also see . . . Scioto Ordnance Plant - Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 20, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 19, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.