Richmond in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Women's Westside Improvement Club
Established July 7, 1908, for the purpose of improving the quality of life in Point Richmond, the Women's Westside Improvement Club is responsible for the original Indian statue fountain, a reading room that became the Westside Branch Library, this rose garden and the Janis Playground at the corner of Nicholl and Washington Avenues.
This plaque commemorates its centennial year of 2008 and more than one hundred years of continuous community service including this at Washington School.
Erected 2008 by Women's Westside Improvement Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is July 7, 1908.
Location. 37° 55.605′ N, 122° 23.105′ W. Marker is in Richmond, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Park Place near Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 198 Park Place, Richmond CA 94801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "The Sentinel" (a few steps from this marker); The Richmond Supply Company BuildingThe Critchett Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Bank of Richmond (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First City Hall of Richmond (about 400 feet away); By Land and By Sea (approx. 0.4 miles away); El Toro (approx. half a mile away); Clay, Kilns & Brick (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 314 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 20, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.