Richmond in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Kirk St, Maur
— Sculptor —
October 20, 1984
Mayor Thomas J. Corcoran
City of Richmond, California
History of the Indian Statue
The first Indian statue was commissioned and dedicated at this site in 1909 by the Women's Westside Improvement Club. Lost to the ravages of time, the statue fell and became scrap metal of the World War II effort.
Many have joined together for today's dedication. The historical interest in the choice of a Native American remains the same. His freedom lost in our past is a reminder of how precious freedom is and how precarious survival remains.
Erected 1984 by City of Richmond.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Native Americans. A significant historical date for this entry is October 20, 1984.
Location. 37° 55.61′ N, 122° 23.103′ W. Marker is in Richmond, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Park Place near Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 198 Park Place, Richmond CA 94801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this Women's Westside Improvement Club (a few steps from this marker); The Richmond Supply Company Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Critchett Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bank of Richmond (about 400 feet away); First City Hall of Richmond (about 400 feet away); By Land and By Sea (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clay, Kilns & Brick (approx. 1.1 miles away); Richmond Shipyards (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Regarding "The Sentinel". "The Point Richmond, California, Women's West Side Improvement Club decided to place a large fountain at the apex of the downtown Triangle at Park Place and Washington Avenue. After considerable research, they selected a large fountain which could accommodate horses dogs and humans. Ordered from J.L. Mott Iron Works in San Francisco, it was unveiled in 1909, revealing an impressive Indian statue atop the large fountain structure. The statue presided over the business district until one night in 1943, when a local truck driver, leaving one of the local bars, backed into the fountain, knocking the statue to the ground. This was in the midst of World War II, when every scrap of metal was precious, and, as the story goes, city maintenance crews picked up the pieces, which were used
The statue, and its base, are the same as that in Fargo. Its fate was remarkably similar." -- Fargo, North Dakota: Its History and Images (https://library.ndsu.edu/fargo-history/?q=content/indian-statue)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 20, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.