Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Willingboro in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of Governor William Franklin’s Home

 
 
Site of Governor William Franklin’s Home Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, May 5, 2016
1. Site of Governor William Franklin’s Home Marker
Inscription.  William Franklin, son of Benjamin Franklin, and last royal governor of New Jersey, had his country home here and owned the property from 1770-1785. As a boy he participated in the lightning experiment with his father. Appointed governor in 1763 by George III, he was arrested in June 1776 by the provincial congress for his loyalist sympathies. He died in England in 1813.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 40° 0.97′ N, 74° 53.2′ W. Marker is in Willingboro, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Beverly Rancocas Road and John F. Kennedy Way on Beverly Rancocas Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Willingboro NJ 08046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Honor Roll (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old School House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Bridgeboro Bridge (approx. 2˝ miles away); Methodist Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Bridgeboro Grammar School
Site of Governor William Franklin’s Home Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, May 5, 2016
2. Site of Governor William Franklin’s Home Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 2.6 miles away); Marne Highway (approx. 2.7 miles away); 1778 (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Willingboro.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 429 times since then and 109 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94766

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 2, 2022