Ashland in Clay County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Clay County was formed by an act of the Alabama General Assembly on December 7, 1866. Less than a year later, Ashland was established as the county seat on land donated by Hollingsworth Watts for the construction of a courthouse. Ashland was incorporated in 1871 and was named for 19th-century statesman Henry Clay's Kentucky home. During the early years, the town grew very rapidly that many predicted it would become more prosperous than Birmingham. The town continued to grow with the opening of Alabama's first graphite mine in 1899. When World War I ended, the market for graphite dropped drastically, thus ending the town's growth phase. The 1930's brought the Great Depression and boll weevil to Ashland that destroyed the cotton industry. Farmers were forced to abandon what had been the community's major industry. Timber, poultry, and cabinet making became the dominant industries by the beginning of the 21st century
Ashland residents have been drawn to community and public service since the
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department, Lee Sentelll, Director.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Sports. A significant historical date for this entry is September 9, 1994.
Location. 33° 16.486′ N, 85° 50.162′ W. Marker is in Ashland, Alabama, in Clay County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Square and 1st Street North, on the right when traveling west on Court Square. Located in front of Ashland City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 82 Court Square, Ashland AL 36251, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Clay County / Clay County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Clay County and the Creek Indian War of 1813-14 / Clay County and the Creek Indian Confederacy (within shouting distance of this marker); Clay County Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Ashland (approx. half a mile away); John Richmond McCain (approx. 5.2 miles away); Lineville Alabama Monument (approx. 5.3 miles away); History of Lineville (approx. 5.3 miles away); Lineville First United Methodist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashland.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Alabama article on Ashland & Clay County. (Submitted on June 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 830 times since then and 111 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.