Radford, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
New River Bridge
Attack on the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad
By mid-morning, Crook's 6,000 men, who had torn up railroad tracks as they advanced from Dublin, arrived at the north end of the bridge with 12 pieces of artillery. Confederate commander Col. John McCausland had placed his 2,000 soldiers and 14 guns at the south end of the bridge after burning the turnpike bridge at Ingles Ferry. Sharpshooters for both sides occupied the riverbanks. The U.S. forces included two future presidents: Col. Rutherford B. Hayes and Lt. William McKinley.
An artillery duel followed. By 1 p.m., the Confederates had expended their ammunition and withdrew to Christiansburg. The Federals then burned the bridge's
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #25 William McKinley, and the Virginia Civil War Trails series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is April 6, 1865.
Location. 37° 8.057′ N, 80° 34.827′ W. Marker is in Radford, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Berkley Williams Drive 0.7 miles from Charlie Coles Drive. Marker is on pathway that runs along the New River in Bisset Park. From parking lot at western end of the park, walk across picnic area to read the marker. To see the present-day railroad bridge and the old piers, follow the path to your left for a short distance. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Radford VA 24141, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the Montgomery County / Pulaski County (approx. half a mile away); The New River (approx. half a mile away); Starnes (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wildwood Pool (approx. ¾ mile away); Connelly's Run (approx. 0.8 miles away); Page’s Meeting House (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Settlement (approx. 1.4 miles away); Radford (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Radford.
More about this marker. Illustration on the marker is a drawing of the R.R. Bridge at New River by Louis Miller ca. 1853 (Va. Historical Society). On the right side of the marker is a map of the area detailing the unit movements described in the text.
Regarding New River Bridge. Radford was known as Central Depot.
Also see . . .
1. Geology and the Civil War: Union Raiders in the New River Valley. (Submitted on July 25, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia.)
2. Radford City Website. Has useful GIS map and and a Bikeway/Walkway map showing Bisset Park. (Submitted on July 25, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 4,450 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 25, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.