Easley in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The mill passed through several owners in the first quarter of the twentieth century, from Bowen's son James O. Bowen to Albert Kay and Kay's widow Tallulah, and then successively to N.T. Waddell, Ida S. Johnson, and a Mrs. Shembosky, who sold it to Hovey A. Lark (1890-1968) during the Depression. Lark ground corn here from the early 1930s until about 1965.
Erected 2004 by Society for the Preservation of Old Mills, Pickens Chapter. (Marker Number 39-11.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 34° 51.235′ N, 82° 31.183′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Easley SC 29640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hester Store (approx. 3.1 miles away); Berea First Baptist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); General Store (approx. 3.9 miles away); Berea School (approx. 4.1 miles away); Dr. Harold B. Sightler (approx. 4½ miles away); Colonel Robert Elliott Holcombe (approx. 5.1 miles away); Captain Kimberly Hampton (approx. 5.1 miles away); Easley, South Carolina (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Easley.
1. The Bowen Family
The Bowen family was among the early settlers of the upper part of South Carolina. There is an old plantation on which one branch of this family settled on the waters of Georges Creek, aobut two miles west of the Saluda River, half way between the city of Greenville, and Easley, S.C. A grist and flower mill were built on this place, and after at time a cotton gin and sawmill were added. This mill was known as Bowen's mill, but it has since passed out of the fmailiy, and is now known as Kay's Mill in the early days there was a blacksmith
(Source: The Pickens Family, by Kate Pickens Day, pub. 1951, Hoitt Pub., Greenville, S.C., pg 87.
— Submitted July 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,735 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.