Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
A.M.E. Church traces its origins to founding of Free African Society in Philadelphia, 1787. Circa 1836, Augustus Turner, a barber, and other black settlers organized this Indianapolis congregation to worship freely and support their community. Trustees bought land 1840 on Georgia Street for first church.
Church held black state conventions, aided fugitive slaves, established a school, and recruited for U.S. Colored Troops during the Civil War. Arson destroyed Georgia Street church in 1864. Land purchased here in 1865. Church completed in 1870; listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1991.
Erected 2009 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Division of Historical Preservation and Archaeology, IDNR, and Bethel A.M.E. Church. (Marker Number 49.2009.2.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Civil Rights. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ⛪, and the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series lists.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Sullivan (Military Park) (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Indiana Avenue (about 700 feet away); James Overall (about 800 feet away); Greek Orthodox Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mary Cable / School No. 4 Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jones Tabernacle A.M.E. Zion Church Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Talking Wall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madame C.J. Walker Timeline (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
Regarding Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. Church is located at 414 West Vermont Street
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 17, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.