Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sterling in Rice County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Emporium

 
 
The Emporium Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 11, 2016
1. The Emporium Marker
Inscription.  
Dr. P. [Powhatan] P. Trueheart built this building known as the "Doctors Block" in 1882. His son, Dr. Marion Trueheart, was a pioneer in the use of x-ray and the introduction of radium for cancer treatment at this location. The upstairs was occupied by the Sterling Telephone Company from 1897 to 1954. Jerald Bourgain purchased the building in 1990 and after renovation renamed it "The Emporium".
 
Erected by Historic Downtown Sterling, Ks.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsScience & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 38° 12.582′ N, 98° 12.401′ W. Marker is in Sterling, Kansas, in Rice County. Marker is on Broadway (State Highway 14/96) south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 South Broadway, Sterling KS 67579, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bulletin (within shouting distance of this marker); The Landis Hollinger Mercantile (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Monroe Apartments (about
History of Sterling image. Click for more information.
Via Connect Sterling, unknown
2. History of Sterling
Sterling Document Center PDF
Click for more information.
Click or scan to see
this page online
400 feet away); The Mincer Building (about 400 feet away); Meade Post No 14 G.A.R. Memorial (about 500 feet away); The Santa Fe Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); The African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cooper Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sterling.
 
Regarding The Emporium.
Excerpt from It Happened in Kansas, August 1935 issue:
WHEN Dr. P. P. Trueheart, 84, veteran Sterling physician, found it necessary to undergo an operation for a gangrenous appendix he insisted upon directing the surgery. A local anesthetic was applied and the actual operation was performed by his son, Dr. Marion Trueheart, Sterling, and his son-in-law, Dr. Kilbourn, Wichita, but the patient directed the proceedings.
 
Also see . . .  "A Souvenir of Sterling, Kansas" (1925). RootsWeb website entry (Submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.) 
 
The Emporium and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 11, 2016
3. The Emporium and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   2. submitted on April 5, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   3. submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=95285

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 24, 2022