Old Mill Stone Monument
These mill stones were used in Marquette's first mill built in 1874 on the bank of the Smoky Hill River by H. S. Bacon, the town founder. The mill was the first industry and the beginning of Marquette - founded February 9th, 1874. This is a tribute to the early pioneers who built a town on the Kansas prairie.
Given to Marquette by Mr. and Mrs. Ernest M. Johnson, Sr.
August 7th, 1976
Topics. This historical marker monument is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is February 9, 1874.
Location. 38° 33.131′ N, 97° 50.05′ W. Marker is in Marquette, Kansas, in McPherson County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and 1st Street, on the right when traveling south on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 South Washington Street, Marquette KS 67464, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Opera Block (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Range School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); G.A.R. Post No. 308 Memorial
Also see . . .
1. History of Marquette, Kansas. (Submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. "Marquette" in Cutler's History of the State of Kansas (1883). (Submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.