Near Carpenter in Mitchell County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Maintained by Mitchell County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 43° 25.352′ N, 93° 0.658′ W. Marker is near Carpenter, Iowa, in Mitchell County. Marker can be reached from 456th Street 0.8 miles east of Zinnia Avenue (County Highway S68), on the right when traveling east. Fort Severson is east of the railroad. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1068 456th Street, Carpenter IA 50426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Deer Creek Lutheran Church Bell (approx. 0.8 miles away); St. Ansgar Freedom Rock Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); First Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 11.2 miles away); History of Spring Park (approx. 12.9 miles away); Dragoon Trail Historical Site Marker No. 10 (approx. 13.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Fort Severson. "The Deer Creek settlement felt the need of a fort for shelter and protection. Indians seen scouting along Deer Creek did not put the settlement at ease, and thus Fort Severson became a reality, bearing the date of 1867. It is of typical fort-like construction. The walls, built of native limestone taken from (Submitted on July 26, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,919 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 26, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.