Near Rawlins in Carbon County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Rawlins Paint Mines
The now abandoned mines were located in the rock outcrops located a mile to the south of this sign. Some of the mined hematite was used as a "barn red" paint pigment noted for its durability and covering qualities. This popular "Rawlins Red" enjoyed the distinction of being selected in 1893, as paint for the newly constructed
Erected by Wyoming State Parks and Cultural Resources.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Natural Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 41° 49.402′ N, 107° 13.858′ W. Marker is near Rawlins, Wyoming, in Carbon County. Marker is on U.S. 287 near Gun Club Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rawlins WY 82301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wyoming State Penitentiary (approx. 2.2 miles away); William Daley Flagpole (approx. 2.4 miles away); Rawlins (approx. 2½ miles away); Rawlins Springs (approx. 2.9 miles away); Civil War Cannons (approx. 6.7 miles away); The Parco Inn (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 1,017 times since then and 215 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.