Williamsport in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Fort Sumter hero, Major Abner Doubleday arrived in June 1861 and ordered the placement of three siege guns, and construction of an ammunition storage bunker and other fortifications on the hill overlooking the town and river. Even though Doubleday was transferred to Harpers Ferry a few weeks later, his name is still associated with the hill.
[text with upper right photo]Abner Doubleday (erroneously credited with invention of baseball) in 1862 as a Brigadier General.
[text with lower right photo]The fortifications on Doubleday Hill were recreated in the late 19th Century, as seen in this photograph.
[text with lower left photo]General Banks' Union army crossing the Potomac at Williamsport in June 1862. Note the cannon on Doubleday Hill in the background.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 39° 35.934′ N, 77° 49.52′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Salisbury Street and Commerce Street, on the left when traveling west on Salisbury Street. Marker is at the top of Doubleday Hill, within the cemetery grounds. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport MD 21795, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Light's Ford and Lemen's Ferry (here, next to this marker); Abner Doubleday (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Doubleday Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); The C&O Canal in the Civil War at Williamsport (within shouting distance of this marker); River View Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boats Passing By (about 400 feet away); The Bowie List (about 600 feet away); Welcome to Williamsport (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
More about this marker. This is a nearly identical marker, missing only one photo, of the Doubleday Hill marker at the base of Doubleday Hill.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2016, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2016, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 4. submitted on April 8, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.