Leonardtown in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This Cannon
Inscription.
This cannon was brought to Maryland in 1634 on The Ark. Used in defense of St. Marys City and as a St. Inigoes Manor boundary marker. Presented to St. Marys County Historical Society by The Society of Jesus.
(original inscription on a worn brass plate) This cannon was presented to the Saint Marys County Historical Society by the Maryland Province, Society of Jesus. It was used in the early defenses of Saint Marys City and for many years served as a boundary marker of Saint Inigoes Manor.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Military. A significant historical year for this entry is 1634.
Location. 38° 17.37′ N, 76° 38.16′ W. Marker is in Leonardtown, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. It is on Courthouse Drive west of Washington Street (Maryland Route 326), on the right when traveling east. It is on the grounds of the courthouse, in front of the Old Jail. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41625 Courthouse Drive, Leonardtown MD 20650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Southern Maryland. It is also in the American South, specifically in the Upper South, in the Mid-Atlantic, in the Tidewater, in the Chesapeake Bay Region, and on the Eastern Seaboard. Globally, it is in the North Atlantic Region, North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once one of the original Thirteen Colonies and also the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: A different marker also named Leonardtown (here, next to this marker); Lynching in America / Lynching of Benjamin Hance (here, next to this marker); The Great House (within shouting distance of this marker); War in the Chesapeake (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Town Spared (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leonardtown.
Another marker is no longer nearby. Leonardtown (was here, next to this marker but has been replaced with another marker now near it).
Regarding This Cannon. The Ark and The Dove were the ships that carried the first settlers of the Maryland Colony from England in 1634. The Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) established one of the earliest manors in the colony, a large plantation called St. Inigoes, soon after St. Marys City was founded and owned it for more than 300 years. It was the site of the first English Catholic mission in the New World and was the headquarters of the Jesuits Maryland Province. St. Marys City was Marylands first capital. As a boundary marker, the cannon was buried muzzle-first in the ground.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This Demiculverin - another cannon from the ships
Also see . . . St. Marys County Historic Background. Southern Maryland Online website entry:
Includes detail on St. Inigoes Manor. (Submitted on April 18, 2007.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,357 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on April 19, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 18, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.



