Radue Chicken Coop
The History of the Radue Chicken Coop
The Radue Chicken Coop was originally located on the August Radue farm (about 1 mi. east of its present location, north of Freistadt Road, on Farmdale Road).
This building was acquired by the Trinity Historical Society and moved to its present location in 1967.Construction
The structural elements of the Radue Chicken Coop are made of whole log timbers, a common construction type in the area up until the late 1870's. Previous to the 1880's there were no convenient sawmills in the area.
For the frugal farmer of the era it was much more practical to cut down several trees from his property for building this typical outbuilding. At a later date, as sawn lumber became less expensive and more abundant, the chicken coop would have been re-sided in sawn wood planks.What was a Chicken Coop used for?
Chickens, and other poultry such as ducks, geese and turkeys, were an essential part of farm life. Eggs were an important food source, used in cooking and baking. Chickens and their eggs were used for trade, barter and income. Feathers
Some eggs were allowed to hatch, thereby increasing the flock and providing a source of fresh meat in the days before refrigeration. During the summer, one of the young male poults would be butchered for the Sunday meal. It was the only fresh meat to be had for the week. The traditional Sunday chicken dinner had its beginnings during this era.The Chicken Coop or Hen House provided shelter from the weather, protection from predators and a clean place to nest. The daily chore of collecting eggs was made easier by having the nests all in one place. In addition, the hen house was cleaned out on a regular basis. The manure made a good fertilizer for the vegetable garden.
Erected by Trinity Historical Society. (Marker Number 2.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1967.
Location. 43° 14.052′ N, 88° 2.785′ W. Marker is in Mequon, Wisconsin, in Ozaukee County. Marker can be reached from Church Place, 0.1 miles south of Freistadt Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in the Trinity Freistadt Historical Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mequon WI 53097, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cemetery Outhouse (here, next to this marker); Vogt Woodshed/Radue Gas Engine (a few steps from this marker); Baeseman Log Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Gierach Smokehouse (a few steps from this marker); Trinity Horse Shed Reconstruction (within shouting distance of this marker); Mueller Machine Shed (within shouting distance of this marker); Klumb-Beuscher Bake Oven (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity School Woodshed (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mequon.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.