Santa Catarina Barahona in Municipality of Santa Catarina Barahona, Sacatepéquez, Guatemala
Santa Catarina Barahona
Fue fundado por Don Sancho Barahona,
uno de los Capitanes de Don Pedro Alvarado,
entre los años de 1530 a 1540
Su principal edificio es la Iglesia Parroquial dedicado a Santa Catalina Virgen y
Martir, Patrona de los Estudiantes
Este monumento fue un obsequio por los
quincuangenario a la Mplrad de
was founded by Sancho Barahona,
one of Pedro Alvarado’s captains,
between the years 1530 to 1540.
The principal building is the Catholic Parish Church dedicated to Saint Catalina, Virgin and
Martyr, Patron Saint of Students.
This monument was a gift dedicated to the
50th anniversary of the Municipality
Erected 1943 by Municipalidad de Santa Catarina Barahona.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1530.
Location. 14° 33.097′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Catarina Barahona, Sacatepéquez 03016, Guatemala. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tragic Accident in San Antonio Aguas Calientes (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Juanito Cucuy Taj (approx. 2.3 kilometers away); General Justo Rufino Barrios (approx. 3.3 kilometers away); Founding of the First Capital of Guatemala (approx. 3.9 kilometers away); Doña Beatriz de la Cueva (approx. 4 kilometers away); 100th Anniversary of the Cross of San Bartolomé Becerra (approx. 4.1 kilometers away); The Esquisuchil Medicinal Tree (Bourreria huanita) (approx. 4.7 kilometers away); Juan José Rodil and Companions (approx. 4.8 kilometers away).
Regarding Santa Catarina Barahona. At some point since the construction of the marker in 1943 the town's name changed from Santa Catalina (the patron saint mentioned on the marker) to Santa Catarina (the town and municipality's present official name).
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 9, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.