Piscataway in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Beginning about 1720 a port named Raritan Landing existed at Landing Lane, the head of navigation on the Raritan River where seagoing sloops with a draft of five feet could come at high tide. There were docks at the waterfront; and warehouses, shops and dwellings lined Landing Lane and River Road. Across the river in New Brunswick, settlement extended downstream along George Street and upstream along the old road to Mile Run. Goods were transferred between seagoing vessels and flatboats from upriver or wagons travelling overland. From about 1730 to 1775 there was a flourishing trade in grain exported from British colonies on the Atlantic Coast and Caribbean Islands. Floods caused some merchants to build on higher ground: Peter Bodine's house (1728) built on River Road near Metlars Lane and Cornelius Low's house (1741) built on the bluff above River Road at Landing Lane are surviving examples of such dwellings. The first bridge built across the river at Raritan Landing was built in 1772.
By Stephen Kokoska, July 13, 2016
1. Raritan Landing Marker
During the British occupation of New Brunswick in 1776-77, the settlement at Raritan Landing was looted and burned. Commerce returned after the Revolutionary
By Bill Coughlin, October 28, 2018
2. Raritan Landing Marker
Click or scan to see
War but shipping was hampered by water too shallow for large sailing vessels and by the coming of steamboats in 1807 to New Brunswick, where the water was deeper. Completion of the Delaware and Raritan Canal in 1834 and the New Jersey Railroad in 1838 gave New Brunswick overwhelming transportation advantages. By the 1870's Raritan Landing was abandoned.
this page online
The Low House (Ivy Hall) was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971; the Metlar-Bodine House was listed in 1973. in 1978, Landing Lane was designated a State and National Archeological District.
Erected 1995 by Piscataway Historic and Heritage Society and the Piscataway Historic Preservation Advisory Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1720.
Location. 40° 30.682′ N, 74° 27.892′ W. Marker is in Piscataway, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Johnson Drive 0.1 miles west of Landing Lane and Johnson Drive, on the right when traveling west. Located near Grove 6 in Johnson Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Piscataway NJ 08854, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Historic Community of Raritan Landing (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Landing Lane Bridge - 1895
(approx. 0.2 miles away); First College Football Game (approx. ¼ mile away); Buccleuch (approx. half a mile away); Buccleuch Mansion (approx. half a mile away); New Brunswick Sailors (approx. 0.7 miles away); Cuban Howitzer (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Birthplace of College Football (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piscataway.
By Stephen Kokoska, July 13, 2016
3. Raritan Landing Marker
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2016, by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 13, 2016, by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. 2. submitted on October 28, 2018, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 3. submitted on July 13, 2016, by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.