Near Harrison in Sioux County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Coffee Siding, located here to avoid higher freight rates in Wyoming, became an important shipping point for Nebraskans. Wyoming ranchers also trailed herds here for shipment. Near the 1,023 footlong siding, Coffee built seven cattle pens. Cattle awaiting shipment were pastured on the Niobrara River south of here. As many as three cattle trains, each consisting of not less than fourteen cars, were sometimes shipped at a time.
Ranching continues as the major industry in Sioux County, but development of better roads and use of huge cattle trucks have reduced dependence on railroads. Sidings and pens used continuously through the 1940's were removed in 1958, and little remains to mark Coffee Siding
Erected by Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 260.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1886.
Location. 42° 39.985′ N, 104° 2.042′ W. Marker is near Harrison, Nebraska, in Sioux County. Marker is on U.S. 20 at milepost 1,, one mile east of the Nebraska/Wyoming State Line, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrison NE 69346, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. American Legion, Ferdinand Branstetter Post No. 1 (approx. 2.9 miles away in Wyoming); Village of Harrison (approx. 8 miles away); Fort Laramie - Fort Robinson Trail (approx. 11½ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,986 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 26, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 27, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.