Carlsbad in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Anti-Tuberculosis Colony No. 1
(McKnight State Tuberculosis Hospital)
The colony developed into a self-sustaining community with an average population of 2,000, housed in 36 buildings on 992 acres of land. The institution included a post office, library, public school, power plant, dairy, vegetable garden, bakery and butcher shops. It was renamed the State Sanatorium in 1919.
Most patients were in residence for nine months. At its height the sanatorium provided a treatment capacity for 950 adults and 250 children. The institution was renamed McKnight State Tuberculosis Hospital in 1955 in honor of Dr. J.B. McKnight, superintendent from 1914 to 1950.
The advent of anti-tuberculosis drugs and thoracic surgery altered the treatment of tuberculosis and eventually the institution closed in 1971. Fifty thousand adults
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12228.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 31° 36.552′ N, 100° 39.093′ W. Marker is in Carlsbad, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is on U.S. 87 0.2 miles north of Irwin Boulevard, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlsbad TX 76934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War I Peace Monument (approx. 5.4 miles away); Butterfield Stage Station at Grape Creek (approx. 6.8 miles away); Sheep and Goat Industry in Texas (approx. 9.3 miles away); The Butterfield or California Trail (approx. 9.4 miles away); Arden Community (approx. 13.3 miles away); Natural Landmark Shelving Rock (approx. 13.7 miles away); Divide Cemetery (approx. 13.9 miles away); The Old Chicken Farm Art Center (approx. 14.4 miles away).
More about this marker. A plaque on the bottom of the marker states “This marker was sponsored by the Texas Graduate Tuberculosis Nurses’ Association.”
Also see . . . Sanatorium, TX. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on July 17, 2016.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 795 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 17, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.