Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrison in Sioux County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Village of Harrison

 
 
Village of Harrison Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, July 26, 2008
1. Village of Harrison Marker
Inscription.  A railroad camp named Summit (elev. 4876 ft.) was located on this site in 1884. When the Fremont, Elkhorn, and Missouri Valley Railroad reached here in 1886, an unincorporated townsite named Bowen was platted and designated the county seat of Sioux County. On June 20, 1887, the name was changed from Bowen to Harrison. The village of Harrison was incorporated on April 7, 1888. A school, county courthouse, and church were built in 1888-1889. Until a community well could be dug, water had to be hauled five miles by wagon from Sow Belly Canyon.

Although the Kinkaid 640 acre Homestead Act of 1904 caused a rapid influx of settlers into Sioux County, Harrison grew more slowly, reaching its peak population of 500 in 1940. After World War II, a trend toward larger farms and ranches, mechanization, and improved transportation led to a loss of population. In its centennial year of 1986, Harrison (pop.360) remained the only incorporated town in Sioux County and the principal educational, governmental and trade center for its citizens, many of whom were descendants of pioneer settlers.
 
Erected by Nebraska
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
State Historical Society; Citizens of Harrison. (Marker Number 302.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1924.
 
Location. 42° 41.471′ N, 103° 52.826′ W. Marker is in Harrison, Nebraska, in Sioux County. Marker is at the intersection of US 20 (U.S. 20 at milepost 9) and Kate Street, on the right when traveling east on US 20. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrison NE 69346, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Coffee Siding (approx. 8 miles away).
 
Village of Harrison Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, July 26, 2008
2. Village of Harrison Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,286 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9593

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024