Near Waynesboro in Augusta County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Shenandoah National Park
Although work began on Skyline Drive in 1933, the vision of extending the scenic roadway to connect to the planned Blue Ridge Parkway was not realized until 1939 when the final section, Jarman Gap to Rockfish Gap was completed.
Rangers welcomed visitors to the southern entrance to Shenandoah from a small, rustic building that stood in the median just across the southbound lane of Skyline Drive. The Rockfish Gap entrance Station was built by the “boys” of the Civilian Conservation Corps in the newly established style of “Parkitecture.”
“Parkitecture” combines native wood and stone with native styles to create visually appealing structures that fit naturally within their specific landscapes.
The first Rockfish Entrance Station was wood framed with board and batten exterior walls. The roof had fire-resistant concrete shingles, developed for remote park buildings that were far from localities with fire departments.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47 Redwood Lodge Ln, Waynesboro VA 22980, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Flight of Richard C. duPont (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rockfish Gap Meeting (approx. 0.4 miles away); Greenwood-Afton Rural Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Park-to-Park Beauty (approx. 0.4 miles away); Welcome to Shenandoah National Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); West Trailhead (approx. 0.4 miles away); Nelson County / Augusta County (approx. 0.4 miles away); West Side Features Then & Now (approx. half a mile away).
More about this marker. Photographs of the entrance to Shenandoah Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway, Rockfish Gap Entrance Station, and rangers approaching the Entrance Station appear at the top of the marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 345 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 18, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 5. submitted on January 20, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.