Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
— National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
British officers stopped at Bostwick House on August 24, 1814, then home of prisoner of war agent Col. Thomas Barclay. From Lowndes Hill, behind the house, British commander Robert Ross observed the American defensive lines.
Bostwick House was built in 1746 for Christopher Lowndes, a local shipyard owner. It was later the home to his son-in-law Benjamin Stoddert, American’s first Secretary of the Navy.
In Friendly Hands
“The agent for British Prisoners of War very fortunately residing at Bladensburg I recommended the wounded Officers and Men to his particular attention and trust…”
British Maj. Gen. Robert Ross, August 30, 1814.
(Inscription above the image in the upper left)
This 1806 watercolor suggests how Bladensburg appeared when British troops arrived in 1814. The wooden bridge shown below was the first point of British attack.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era •
Location. 38° 56.254′ N, 76° 56.084′ W. Marker is in Bladensburg, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on 48th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3901 48th Street, Bladensburg MD 20710, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Workplace of Many Generations (here, next to this marker); Preserving the Past (a few steps from this marker); An Evolving Landscape (within shouting distance of this marker); Bostwick (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Bostwick (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Market Square & Stone House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Casualties of War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hilleary-Magruder House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bladensburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 20, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.