Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Charles City in Charles City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Salem Church

 
 
Salem Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Walker, August 11, 2007
1. Salem Church Marker
Inscription.  This church, four miles north, was used as a field hospital, June, 1864, following the action an Nance's Shop, where the Union cavalryman Gregg, guarding a wagon train, was attacked by Wade Hampton. Gregg was driven from the field but saved the wagons. Wounded soldiers were brought to the church and some of the dead were buried there.
 
Erected 1934 by Conservation and Development Commission. (Marker Number V-13.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
 
Location. 37° 20.246′ N, 77° 9.992′ W. Marker is near Charles City, Virginia, in Charles City County. Marker is at the intersection of John Tyler Memorial Highway (Virginia Route 5) and Barnetts Road (Virginia Route 609), on the right when traveling west on John Tyler Memorial Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charles City VA 23030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, measured as the crow flies. Westover Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Westover Church (approx. half a mile away); Evelynton (approx. 0.8 miles away); Herring Creek (approx. one mile away); Stuart's Ride (approx. 1.2 miles away); Emanuel Quivers (approx. 1.4 miles away); First English Thanksgiving in Virginia (approx. 1.4 miles away); Berkeley Plantation or Harrison's Landing (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles City.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,152 times since then and 44 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 27, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9600

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024