An Evolving Landscape
Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
A historic orchard and remains of a windmill stand on the eastern portion of the site, elevated above the house. Undulating ground connects the orchard with small ponds fed by a spring, and a meadow, now the site of a nursery for trees and plants ued to restore the Anacostia River ecosystem. To the south of the main house and adjacent to the chicken coop, is a kitchen and house garden, where some of the historic boxwood hedges remain intact.
(Inscription beside the photo on the left)
View to the East-This photo, taken ca. 1910 from the top of the windmill (partially demolished), shows a view to the east, including the house, the barn, and the banks of the Anacostia River beyond.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1746.
Location. 38° 56.249′ N, 76° 56.068′ W. Marker is in Bladensburg, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on 48th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3901 48th Street, Bladensburg MD 20710, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Preserving the Past (a few steps from this marker); British Stopover (within shouting distance of this marker); A Workplace of Many Generations (within shouting distance of this marker); Bostwick (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Bostwick (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Market Square & Stone House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Casualties of War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hilleary-Magruder House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bladensburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 21, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.