Newtown Township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Daniel Williamson House
Erected by Newtown Square Historical Preservation Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania, Newtown Square Historical Preservation Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1692.
Location. 39° 58.445′ N, 75° 24.994′ W. Marker is in Newtown Township, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker is on Bishop Hollow Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newtown Square PA 19073, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Preston Mansion (approx. 0.8 miles away); High Larches (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mary Lyon (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jane Addams (approx. 1.1 miles away); Louisa May Alcott (approx. 1.2 miles away); Clara Harlowe Barton (approx. 1.2 Betsy Ross (approx. 1.2 miles away); Elizabeth Fry (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown Township.
Also see . . . History of Garrett-Williamson. (Submitted on July 21, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
1. History of Williamson and his House
Daniel Williamson came to the area near Crum Creek from the village of Stretton in Cheshire, England as one of the areas earliest settlers. He was a Quaker and left to escape the religious persecution going on there from the time before he was born. (1665) Daniels lineage lends to an ongoing “sister town” relationship with that town in England, and Newtown Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Near the end of his life Williamson, was involved in county government and was a member of the Assembly representing Chester County, at the time of his death in 1727.
The house as the marker states is actually three structures joined at common walls. The central section of the Daniel Williamson House is constructed of vertical timbers, while the other two side sections are of stone. Both field
— Submitted July 22, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 607 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.