Robert Lee in Coke County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Coke County Cattle, Oil and Gas Center
A pioneer ranching center, settled about 1880. Early land owners included S.M. Conner, W.G. Jameson and W.R. Walker. Dr. J.E. Reed for 50 years was only physician here. R.B. Allen was outstanding civic leader.
Post office, named for peak nearby, was opened 1890 with Thomas J. Wiley postmaster.
School (2 mi. SW) was moved here and renamed Silver Peak.
Oil discovery, 1946, brought drilling, refining, employees’ camps, much growth. The town became busy oil-gas center.
After camps closed, 1966, the population declined.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4695.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
Location. 31° 53.57′ N, 100° 29.281′ W. Marker is in Robert Lee, Texas, in Coke County. Marker is at the intersection of Chadbourne Street and W. 6th Street, on the right when traveling south on Chadbourne Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Robert Lee TX 76945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Coke County Jail (here, next to this marker); Hayrick Lodge 696, A.F.&A.M.County Named for Texas Confederate Richard Coke (about 600 feet away); Fence-Cutting War (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Methodist Church of Robert Lee (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert Lee Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Henry Davis Pearce (approx. 0.9 miles away); Locklin Bartholomew Murray (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Robert Lee.
More about this marker. Etched on the bottom border of the marker is “Erected in Memory of Silver Pioneers”.
Also see . . . Silver, TX. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on July 21, 2016.)
1. Original Location of Marker
The marker was originally located in the community of Silver, 18 miles northwest of Robert Lee on State Highway 208. The marker was subsequently moved to the County Jail museum site. However, there is an identical marker located one mile east of Silver at the intersection of SH 208 and Farm-to-Market Road 1672.
— Submitted July 21, 2016.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.