Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Emmitsburg in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Emmitsburg Sisters of Charity

 
 
Emmitsburg Sisters of Charity Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
1. Emmitsburg Sisters of Charity Marker
Inscription.  
1809 - 1984
Dedicated to
Emmitsburg Sisters of Charity

The community of Sisters of Charity was founded in this valley on July 31, 1809, by Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton.

The Sisters served the citizens of Emmitsburg and the environs both spiritually and physically.

They soon answered the call of the Bishops of the United States throughout the country and established the first parochial schools, orphanages and hospitals.

Prior to the Battle of Gettysburg, the Armies of the North and of the South encamped on these grounds within hour of each other. After this infamous battle, the Sisters nursed the wounded soldiers in Gettysburg and thirty other establishments throughout the war ravaged country.


 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkWar, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1810.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 42.115′ N, 77° 19.67′ W. Marker was in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in Frederick County.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker was on South Seton Avenue (Business U.S. 15), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Emmitsburg MD 21727, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Army of the Potomac (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Army of the Potomac (within shouting distance of this marker); The Carriage House Inn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 137 South Seton Avenue (about 500 feet away); Town Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Town of Emmitsburg, Maryland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emmitsburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emmitsburg Memorial Post (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Emmitsburg.
 
Also see . . .  Daughters of Charity, Emmitsburg Chapter. (Submitted on July 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Markers near the Willow Rill Bridge image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
2. Markers near the Willow Rill Bridge
Two markers stand next to the Willow Rill Bridge on Business U.S. 15 through Emmitsburg. On the left is the Emmitsburg Sisters of Charity marker. On the left is the Mount Saint Mary's College marker.
Missing War Department Tablets image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
3. Missing War Department Tablets
On the other side of the creek, in front of the post office, are two "stalks" for missing War Department Tablets. The tablets were recently replaced. See nearby markers.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,656 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9618

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024