Corydon in Harrison County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Leora Brown School
Erected 1995 by Indiana Historical Bureau. (Marker Number 31.1995.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Women. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1813.
Location. 38° 12.86′ N, 86° 7.246′ W. Marker is in Corydon, Indiana, in Harrison County. Marker is on Summit Street west of Hill Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 East Summit Street, Corydon IN 47112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cedar Hill Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); First State Office BuildingOswell Wright (approx. ¼ mile away); Governor's Headquarters (approx. ¼ mile away); John Shields (approx. ¼ mile away); Corydon (approx. ¼ mile away); The Liar's Bench (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corydon.
Regarding Leora Brown School. [A Walking Tour of Corydon] "The Leora Brown School is the oldest former school for African Americans still standing in Indiana, and a legacy for Corydon.
Freed slaves from Virginia and Kentucky settled in Harrison County Indiana decades before the Civil War, anticipating Indiana's free-state status that would be part of the new state's Constitution.
The school was built in 1891. In 1925, high-school age black students were intergrated into Corydon High, with grade schoolers coming into the system in 1950.
Today, the carefully restored building, named for one of its beloved former teachers, is a popular meeting house for the entire community."
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 3,339 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 28, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.